Civil Partnership Dissolution

You can only commence dissolution proceedings if you have been in a civil partnership for at least a year and must be able to demonstrate to the Court that your civil partnership has irretrievably come to an end.

If the basis for the dissolution is agreed, you can apply to the Court for a conditional order and, six weeks thereafter, apply for a final order bringing the partnership to an end.

In order to evidence the irretrievable breakdown of the partnership, you would need to establish one of four facts:

  1. unreasonable behaviour by your civil partner;
  2. desertion;
  3. 2 years' separation with consent; or
  4. 5 years' separation without consent.

Unlike divorce, adultery is not a fact that can be relied on as a stand-alone factor in dissolution proceedings. However, if there is evidence of adultery, this can be used to support an unreasonable behaviour petition.

Fixed Fee First Meeting

We offer a fixed fee half an hour appointment for clients at our offices during the course of which we provide advice on merits, courses of action available, procedures, time frames and costs and will also endeavour to answer any specific queries you may have.  We will follow up that initial meeting with a letter/email to you summarising the topics discussed and information on the most appropriate ways to take your matter(s) forward.  The fixed fee cost for this service is £200.00 plus VAT.

Contact Us

If you would like to discuss any family law matter with one of our solicitors, please contact us so we may fully understand your requirements. Contact us by phone on 020 7723 3040 or by email at